Does God Still Heal?
By Pastor Ron PhillipsHe sent His word and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions.
Healing is shrouded in mystery. I remember one time in the church when we had two women in the hospital. Both of them were Godly women, and both had cancer. One was totally healed. The other died. We had done the same things for both, prayed the same way, had the same amount of concern for both, but the results were totally opposite.
There are a lot of people who are blown over because they didn’t get their miracle or feel like God didn’t answer their prayers. The truth is, God answers every prayer, if it’s prayed through Jesus Christ and prayed in the right spirit. Robert Schuller was right when he said, “Sometimes God says no, sometimes God says slow, and sometimes God says go.”
Let’s begin our look at this controversial subject by listing 6 facts about healing.
1. Healing is biblical. I began this study with Psalm 107:20, which plainly and clearly states, “He sent His word and healed them.” Can’t find too much room for controversy in that verse. Psalm 103 also says, “Bless the Lord, O my soul; And all that is within me, bless His holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits: Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases.”
2. Miracles of the Bible have not ceased. There are those who dodge supernatural issues by saying that miracles ceased with the death of the apostles or the close of the canon of scripture Or some say that there were periods of miracles. That’s just not true. The gifts of healing and the ministry of healing is still present.
3. Our days are numbered. In Psalm 139:16, David said, “Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, When as yet there were none of them.” God has numbered your days, and that includes a baby that dies at 8 days old, and an octogenarian who dies at 100. We’ve got to balance healing virtue with the limitations of this earthly body.
4. All healing right now is temporary. Let’s look again at Psalm 103. Yes, it says, “Who heals all your diseases.” But if you keep reading and look at it in context, it goes on to say, “Who redeems your life from destruction.” That’s the resurrection of the body. One day our body will be perfect, when we stand in the resurrection. Yes, God does heal now, but all healing is temporary until we get to heaven. Even Lazarus, whom Jesus raised from the dead, eventually died again. One day this body will die, unless Jesus comes back. Then the ultimate healing comes.
5. God is developing a pure faith in your life. We always read Hebrews 11 and rejoice in the heroes of the faith who did great exploits, but we stop too soon. When you get down to verse 35 it says, “Women received their dead raised to life again. And others were tortured, not accepting deliverance, that they might obtain a better resurrection. Still others had trial of mockings and scourgings, yes, and of chains and imprisonment. They were stoned, they were sawn in two, were tempted, were slain with the sword. They wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, tormented.” There are misguided people who say others are not healed because of a lack of faith. What does God say? If you keep reading in Hebrews, it says, “Of whom the world was not worthy.” God says, “They don’t deserve you down there. Come on up here.” It takes more faith to live through something than to have an instant miracle in your life.
6. Your lifestyle choices affect your health. One time I was at Pastor Rod Parsley’s church, and he made a statement that made everybody mad. The night before, many people had lined up for Benny Hinn. Pastor Parsley got up and rightly said that most of the people who lined up for healing were eating the wrong things, smoking cigarettes and not taking care of themselves. Their sickness had more to do with the way they treated their body than begin a spiritual issue. The Bible clearly stresses hygiene. There’s a whole chapter on how to dig a latrine so they wouldn’t get sick. There are even things about stress and the things it brings on us.
It’s not too late for you to make some choices. First of all, believe God, and what His Word says about healing. Second, walk in practices that will allow you to have a healthier life.
Father, I know that Your Word is true, and that You do heal today. I pray that You would release healing virtue into me. I know that every stripe You took for me, Jesus, brings healing to my body. I receive healing from Your hand by faith, knowing that You are the God who heals me. In Jesus’ name, amen.
For more in-depth study, order Pastor Ron’s four part teaching on healing. If you are in need of healing, please visit the Healing Rooms at Abba’s House any Monday from 5-8 pm.
ADDITIONAL SCRIPTURE READING
But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed.
But to you who fear My name The Sun of Righteousness shall arise With healing in His wings.
When evening had come, they brought to Him many who were demon-possessed. And He cast out the spirits with a word, and healed all who were sick.
- Spiritual Life
- Healing Rooms
- Prophetic Roundtable
- Harp and Bowl Intercessory Prayer
- Prayer for Abba's House
- The Oak Initiative
- Spiritual Life Media Archive
- Program Landing
- Testimonies from the Healing Rooms